Buying a boat in the Greek Ionian Islands is very easy and we offer full assistance to make the whole process very straightforward.
Here at Ionian Yacht Sales, we are able to offer full assistance and advice on what to buy, how to buy and when to buy it. Over the years we have helped a number of people purchase their “Dream” boat, including a number of repeat customers.
When looking to purchase a vessel, especially your first, several important factors need to be taken into consideration:
a) Budget – How much do you have to spend?
b) Usage – What do you want out of your boat and where do you intend to use it?
c) Who – Who is going to use the boat? and how many people do you intend to have as your crew/passengers/guests?
d) Mooring & Upkeep – Where are you intending to keep the boat? Where will you have repairs and maintenance done?
Once you have the answers to these questions, you can begin the search for your perfect boat.
Iif you miss the boat of your dreams, don’t panic, there are plenty more out there!
There are several key elements to buying a boat, and major benefits from buying through a broker.
Buying from a recognised broker will:
- Help you ensure that you are not buying a boat that does not meet your requirements.
- Make sure that all necessary paperwork is completed.
- Help with the sale, liaising is done by the broker so no difficult phone calls or awkward situations with the vendor of the vessel.
- Ensure that your money is safe. You can buy in confidence and know that your money is safe, and that it will not be released to the vendor until the sale is completed and the vessel is yours.
- Assist with arranging an independent survey or valuation, and also full assistance with any remedial works that may be necessary.
- Offer viewing of boats available for sale. No meetings in the middle of no-where with someone you have never met before.
- A sale can be broken down into several easy steps.
The basic steps to the sale are:
1. View as many boats as you can. Don’t be afraid to ask, even it may seem like a silly question. Any good broker is there to help.
2. When you find a suitable boat you should place an offer. Offers can be “as seen” or subject to survey or river trial. We will pass the offer onto the vendor and in many cases get an immediate answer whilst you wait.
3. If and when the offer is accepted, a non-refundable deposit is required. This is usually 10% unless otherwise agreed.
4. Paperwork is then drawn up by us. At this point you and the vendor will enter in a contract and will be required to sign a Sales Agreement which confirms the terms of the offer, acceptance of the basic terms and the time-scale to which the sale should follow.
5. The sale is usually competed within 2-3 weeks of the initial deposit. During this period, any surveys and trials can take place to ascertain the quality and value of the boat. Should anything untoward be found, this will give you time to renegotiate the sale price or to retract from the sale.
6. The final paperwork will be completed upon cleared payment of the final balance. The boat & keys will then be handed over and you will now own your very own Boat in the Ionian. We will perform a hand over to you and explain briefly the boat and its equipment. If required we can take you on a short trial. Sometimes this may be carried out by the vendor.
7. We can also offer advice with other matters such as Insurance, Licences, Breakdown Assistance and Moorings.
If you have any queries about the sales process, please ask! We are here to assist you, and make buying a boat the pleasurable experience it should be.