Greek Cruising Tax- Relaxation of Port Police Procedures

/, News/Greek Cruising Tax- Relaxation of Port Police Procedures

Greek Cruising Tax- Relaxation of Port Police Procedures

Greek Tax (TPP)-Cruising Tax update (as at 28 April 2014)

The new Greek Tax, often referred to as TPP, will not be collected until procedures are fully defined. This will not take place until, at the earliest, some time in May. There will be a transition period during which no penalties will apply.

Meanwhile, law 4256 came into effect on 14 April 2014. This introduces a considerable relaxation of procedures anticipating TPP.

Port Police (PP, more correctly called “Hellenic Coast Guard”) throughout Greece have been told of the new procedures. We are still clarifying detail, but most simplifications we suggested have been implemented. So far, the following is clear:

  1. All EU boats cruising Greece have to have a DEKPA (Cruising Bulletin) and that DEKPA remains permanently valid for that boat (we’re checking on the case for non-EU boats, and the under 10m case). If a boat arriving in Greek waters doesn’t have a DEKPA, a new one will be issued for a fee.
  2. Once TPP is in force, the DEKPA will be used to register the boat, and payments of TPP. (We don’t yet know how this will work, except that there will be a central on-line registry)
  3. While the boat stays in Greece, the DEKPA only has to be presented to PP once a year (we’re checking what happens when only a month’s tax has been paid)
  4. For immigration control, boats must carry an up to date crew list, and should report changes.
  5. PP permission is no longer needed (a) when arriving in harbour (b) to haul out (c) to re-launch (d) to leave harbour
  6. To fish from a boat, licences are no longer required
  7. The port police should otherwise only be contacted if there is accident or injury at sea.
  8. Port police have the right to visit the boat for the purpose of ensuring dues are paid
  9. Certificates of insurance will need to show revised limits (see below)

Apart from local fees for electricity, water, and lines ashore, it is not yet clear what other fees will be due, or who will collect them

New arrivals in Greece no longer have to use a port of entry, but must notify PP. Effectively this means entering at a PP manned port.

For a variety of reasons, if leaving Greek waters for another country, we think it will still be prudent to check out, especially for non-EU crews to exit the Schengen zone.


Full details on Cruising Association website –